US oil & gas industry saw a drop of 26% in overall deal activity during February 2022, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by The Infrastructure Investments Fund’s $8.1bn private equity deal with South Jersey Industries, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 37 deals worth $11.9bn were announced in February 2022, compared with the 12-month average of 50 deals.
M&A was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 21 deals, which accounted for 56.8% of all deals.
In second place was venture financing with 12 deals, followed by private equity with four transactions, respectively accounting for 32.4% and 10.8% of overall deal activity in the US technology industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, private equity was the leading deal category in the US oil & gas industry with total deals worth $8.37bn, while M&A and venture financing deals totalled $3.45bn and $70.6m respectively.
US oil & gas industry deals in February 2022: Top deals
The top five oil & gas industry deals accounted for 88.9% of the overall value during February 2022.
The combined value of the top five oil & gas deals stood at $10.57bn, against the overall value of $11.9bn recorded for the month.
The top five oil & gas industry deals of February 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) The Infrastructure Investments Fund $8.1bn private equity deal with South Jersey Industries
2) The $1.3bn acquisition of Great Western Petroleum by PDC Energy
3) ULLICO $690m acquisition deal with Hope Gas
4) The $300m acquisition of Bison Oil & Gas II by Civitas Resources
5) Kayne Anderson Energy Fund VIII $180m private equity deal with Treadstone Energy Partners III